So OHSS happens when the hormones taken to grow the follicles/eggs causes the ovaries to become enlarged and secrete fluid into the abdominal cavity (very simplified definition!). It happens at 2 different stages in the cycle.
1. Early Onset happens around the time of egg retrieval/embryo transfer. When this happens the change of hormones caused by either menstruation or pregnancy usually eases symptoms and all goes back to how it should be.
2. Late Onset happens around the time your period is due. It is normally seen as a good sign as the cause is more often than not as a result of hcg building in the body
With mild to moderate ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome, symptoms can include:
- Mild to moderate abdominal pain
- Abdominal bloating or increased waist size
- Tenderness in the area of your ovaries
- Sudden weight increase of more than 6.6 pounds (3 kilograms)
Some women who use injectable fertility drugs get a mild form of OHSS, which goes away after about a week. If pregnancy occurs, however, symptoms of OHSS may worsen and last several days to weeks.
With severe ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome, you might have:
- Rapid weight gain — such as 33 to 44 pounds (15 to 20 kilograms) in five to 10 days
- Severe abdominal pain
- Severe, persistent nausea and vomiting
- Blood clots in legs
- Decreased urination
- Shortness of breath
- Tight or enlarged abdomen
Ive shared every step, the good, the bad and the ugly this far. Can’t be missing one out now! On the day I got my positive test back, I went into the clinic to have the bloods done. They asked how I was feeling.
Thinking nothing of it I overshared. Im bloated, i keep getting abdominal pain very like trapped wind pains and I have a very upset bowel (jumping from one extreme to the other), nausea and sore boobs. All side effects of the progesterone so I’m ok. The nurse looked concerned. She went and spoke to a doctor. They wanted to scan me before doing the bloods.
Oh joy. Typical for me. If it can go wrong it will. Thankfully this was just a belly scan – no internal for me thanks very much! The scan showed my ovaries were still enlarged. There were a few pockets of fluid around my abdomen too. Nothing overly concerning but not normal at this stage.
Bloods taken. As per my previous post it was positive (I still done too many pregnancy tests to be sure)!!!! Late Onset OHSS for me. Yipee!
More bloods taken to check liver kidneys etc. These came back abnormal so when we got the good news about the positive test we also got told I had to go back in on Monday morning to have the bloods repeated.
Over the weekend I was started on a course of Dalteparin for the OHSS. Lucky me. Another daily injection. This time it was a blood thinner to prevent me developing clots. It’s a nippy jag. I don’t like it but if it makes my chances of keeping wee flash safe and sound inside me then I would do what it takes.
Dalteparin is notorious for causing horrendous bruising. I’d gotten through all the hormone injections relatively unscathed. First Dalteparin and I have a horrendous bruise already. I ended up with a very swollen (I look 9 months pregnant!) bruised belly. Not pretty.
I just keep telling myself it’s all worth it!
I was off the Dalteparin after 2 weeks and although my ovaries were still enlarged the fluid was mostly gone so all good!! No more ovary scans required now!! Next up the 7 week (viability) scan.